Care of Neck, Head, and Upper Back
When you are having discomfort in the neck, upper back, head, and/or shoulders, ordinary activities which you have taken for granted become a source of irritation. Therefore, it is important for you to be aware of the basic principles of good care.
- Balance activities with rest. Change positions and take short rest periods often. Slowly increase activities over a period of time.
- Use ice or contrast treatments to help alleviate muscle tension and increase circulation. Moist heat applied to the muscle is the next best alternative for non-acute problems.
- Avoid sleeping on stomach
When sleeping on back:
- Use a Therapeutic© pillow or towel roll under neck
- Elevate legs by placing one pillow under the knees.